Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:46:39 -0800
From:      Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using the OpenSSH Port

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 08:18 PM, Jason Morgan wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:36:43PM -0600, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>> Jason:
>> I believe you should use this:
>> # OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE= true  # Use to make it update from the ports
>
> Where is that in the docs? I couldn't find it in
> /etc/defaults/make.conf.

Look in /usr/ports/security/openssh-portable and read the Makefile.

The OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE variable applies specifically to the
openssh-portable port. The variable does not work with the
/usr/ports/security/openssh port. It causes the openssh-portable port
to replace the system-installed binaries, etc. When I was using openssh
from ports I would just go to /usr/ports/security/openssh-portable and
run:

env OPENSSH_OVERWRITE_BASE=true make install

You want to use the NO_OPENSSH=true in /etc/make.conf so that when you
make buildworld and installworld you won't replace the port-installed
binaries with the system-default binaries.

Bryan