Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Joe Heuring <heyjoe@cts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shells

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Joe Heuring wrote:

> Out of pure curiosity I'm wondering why FreeBSD uses the C-shell as default.

Without getting into flame wars here, I think because bash is under the
GPL license.  Anyway, probably a shell using the same syntax as sh (which
is the preferred shell for shell scripts) is desirable.  That means
bash (or a ksh variant) instead of csh (which is really tcsh on FreeBSD
now).

And bash has the benefit that it's the default shell for Linux, and if
you work in this field you will probably run into some computers
running Linux too.  And all those Windows boxen.

You can install bash (with choices of versions--use bash2) from ports,
but you have to provide your own configuration files or find some on the
net; Linux ones will work with probably a few changes.

Many people also like zsh, but it's sort of "odd" in some ways.

	Annelise