Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:48:25 -0500
From:      "Jon Passki" <jon.passki@hursk.com>
To:        "Khachatur Shahinyan" <khachatur.shahinyan@arca.am>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd auto locking users

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:42 AM, Khachatur Shahinyan
<khachatur.shahinyan@arca.am> wrote:

> Dear FreeBsd gurus, I have a problem concerning users password and authentication policies. The goal is
> 1)make freebsd to lock users after 3 unsuccessful login attempts,
> 2)force users to change their passwords every 90 days
>
> I've done such changes in Linux distros, with various PAM modules.But in Freebsd it seems that i need to use login.conf file. Here I made necessary changes in  that file:
> >>>>>>
> default:\
> .............      :login-retries=1:\
> :passwordtime=90d:\
> :warnpassword=7d:\
> :warnexpire=7d:\
> The fields which are reserved for password aging parameters are 0:0
> test:$1$F9yf.PuK$xqIsGEgK3MexpPZ4UBav0.:1001:1001::0:0:User &:/home/test:/bin/sh
>
> And the locking point does not work either, e.g. no matter how many times I input wrong password, I'm still able to login. :(
> I cannot understand what I'm doing wrong, and what should be done solve this issues? I'm not an expert Freebsd administration, so any comments and suggestions are welcome.

login.conf manual page: [1]

RESERVED CAPABILITIES
     The following capabilities are reserved for the purposes indicated and
     may be supported by third-party software.	They are not implemented in
     the base system.
[...]
     passwordtime      time		   Used by passwd(1) to set next pass-
					   word expiry date.
[...]

The other capabilities (warnpassword, warnexpire, login-retries) do
not relate to lock-outs attempts.  To my knowledge, there are no other
capabilities that are supported by the base in login.conf that will
lock out an account.  This has been discussed prior [2,3].  It is not
available in the base; the administrator has to manually do this.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=login.conf&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-RELEASE&format=html
[2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-August/015073.html
[3] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-February/167981.html

Cheers,