Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:15:31 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 01:59:45AM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Sorry, but a simplistic analysis like that just won't cut for grep.
> The algorithmic complexity is highly relevant here. Try this:

Algorithmic complexity!?!

It's a freaking grep application.  There is no freaking algorithmic
complexity.

At least not outside of our regex library, anyways.  The test you
suggested doesn't show anything about that algorithmic complexity,
though.

If we have a slow regex library, though, I would consider that a
separate problem from a slow grep.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.