Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2007 23:17:36 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /boot size in 7.0 beta3

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 05:32:41PM -0800 I heard the voice of
Doug Hardie, and lo! it spake thus:

> Between 6.2 and 7 /boot has grown from 45 MB to 114 MB.  That poses
> a significant issue for those of us who have been running production
> systems for many years.  I have the root partition set to 200 MB
> which has been more than enough.

Well, 200 meg has been pretty tight and rather small for a couple
versions now.  My 194 meg / partition set up in 3-CURRENT days is
pretty tight these days   8-}

rm'ing away all the .symbols files from the kernel dir did the trick
for me, though (I did have to do it in another terminal while
`installkernel` was running to get it to complete...  there's probably
a flag I can pass to make):

Filesystem           Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a          194M     65M    113M    36%    /

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net