Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 23:12:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with Gnome apps crashing on -stable

I'm seeing something strange with certain Gnome apps on -stable.  At first
it was just happening with nautilus, so I ignored it.  Now, the same thing
happens with balsa.  I've been trying to track down the problem, but I
need some help.  When I open my home directory in nautilus (which has a
lot of files), I noticed this on my console:

sigreturn: eflags 0x10296

Then a core dump on signal 6.  The eflags value is different each time.
This message comes from machdep.c in the kernel.  It seems to indicate
that the user process is trying to set eflags and (eflags & PSL_VM) is not
true.  My first question is, what exactly is eflags?  Is this caused by
someone not saving context correctly?

Now, when this happens, the SIGABRT is caused by uthread_kern.c which is
evident in my .gnomerc-errors file:

Fatal error 'Thread has returned from sigreturn or longjmp' at line ? in
file /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_kern.c (errno = ?)
Abort trap - core dumped

The relevant code from uthread_kern.c seems to be:

                /*
                 * Ensure the process signal mask is set
                 * correctly:
                 */
                _thread_run->ctx.uc.uc_sigmask =
                    _process_sigmask;
                sigreturn(&_thread_run->ctx.uc);
#endif
                break;
            }
            /* This point should not be reached. */
            PANIC("Thread has returned from sigreturn or longjmp");

Line 607 was changed three weeks ago from:

_thread_sys_sigreturn(&_thread_run->ctx.uc);

to what you see above.  I'm not sure this has any bearing on the problem,
though.  Balsa 1.2.3 has started doing the same thing at times.  I have
-stable cvsup'd and compiled from yesterday (11/10/2001), and all the
latest components having anything to do with gnome.

Like I said, I'd love to track this down, but I need some guidance as I'm
not that familiar with kernel threading.  Thanks.

Joe