Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 02:54:23 +0200
From:      Sune Stjerneby <stjerneby@usa.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: talk (fwd)

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > "Imagine that Cray computer decides to make a personal computer.  It has
> > a 150 MHz processor, 200 megabytes of RAM, 1500 megabytes of disk
> > storage, a screen resolution of 4096 x 4096 pixels, relies entirely on
> > voice recognition for input, fits in your shirt pocket and costs $300.
> > What's the first question that the computer community asks?
> >
> > "'Is it PC compatible?'"
>
> No, that's the second question.  The first question would be "where
> can I get one of these?" :-)

Ah, these specs remind me of paragraph from a paper of the MIT Athena
project I've got lying around.

Basically it reads:

**
4. Hardware

	The typical Athena workstation is roughly a ''3M'' machine; that is; it
has a 1 million-instructions-per-second processor, a megapixel (1000 x
1000) display, and three or four megabytes of memory. It also has a
mouse, a local disk (typically 30-70 megabytes), and an Ethernet network
interface.
(..)
**

This was around ~1988.

Again, there's some dimension-twisting here. A fairly decent graphics
display, and networking, yet fairly low on disk- and memory resources
compared to current hardware. The actual hardware consisted of
MicroVAXen and VAXstations.

Another fascinating fact - MIT has setup HINFO entries in the DNS for
virtually every box on campus. Great for statistics (plenty of NetBSD
boxen).

--
//bwulf - Sune Stjerneby
<stjerneby@usa.net>, [2:238/260.4], ++45 56219988, DK-208, EU