Date:      21 Jun 1997 12:56:56 -0000
From:      mark thompson <thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status on LS-120 drive support?

   From: Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
   Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:50:11 +1000 (EST)

   In some mail from Troy Curtiss, sie said:

   > Anybody out there using those LS-120 drives yet?  I think they
   > are IDE-interfaced.  Looks like they hold 120MB and can read old
   > floppies (1.44M) too.  If they are going to be supported (or going
   > to be commercially successful), they look like a better deal than
   > the Iomega Zip drives.  Any thoughts?

   The LS-120 has two *heads* - one for current floppies and one for the
   new format.  It is a plug-in replacement for floppy drives apparently.
   It may even work without a new driver (just diff. geometry) ?

Sounds like a floptical. Anybody remember those? Still have one
somewhere (rummage, rummage). An object lesson in "things not catching
on".

-mark