Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 08:46:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Cc:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>, FreeBSD-ISP <FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail relaying

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Troy Settle wrote:

> > > <scarcasm>
> > > cd /usr/ports/mail/procmail
> > > make install clean
> > > man {procmail(1), procmailrc(5), procmailsc(5), procmailex(5)}
> > > </scarcasm>
> >
> > I'll tell you something, Jack, sarcasm nearly always reflects on the
> > user, not on the target.  Think about it, it's true.
>
> Better to be sarcastic in the answer than to come straight out and explain
> to you that participants of this list should know how to do basic stuff
> like this long before they start posting.  Personally, I'd have
> outright flamed you had I been following the list a little better.

As long as it was polite, then maybe you'd have been right, although you
(like Jack) were wrong in your assumption that I was asking twice the
same thing.

> > > You don't use procmail for that, that's sendmail's job.  See
> > > /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README
> > > Specifically
> > > rbl     Turns on rejection of hosts found in the Realtime Blackhole
> > >         List.  If an argument is provided it is used as the
> > >         name sever to contact; otherwise, the main RBL server at
> > >         rbl.maps.vix.com is used.  For details, see
> > >         http://maps.vix.com/rbl/.
> > > under FEATURES
> >
> > But I wanted to filter incoming mail here, Jack, so I *did* want
> > procmail.
>
> You did ask about procmail and filtering.  You also explicitly asked about
> the RBL.  These 2 things are unrelated, which is what Jack tried to make
> clear.

I knew they were unrelated, and I was specifically asking unrelated
questions.  I was under the impression that rbl turned off relaying for
the hosts in rbl, and once I had that working (before I wrote this post)
I tested it and knew it worked.

In this post I specifically wanted procmail, both to redirect incoming
mail, and because I was mistakenly thinking that rbl didn't block the
folks on the rbl list, just the relaying of folks on rbl.

You guys who like to jump on folks *really* ought to think about it for
a while.  That's the reason being polite pays off, because when you're
wrong, you don't look so silly.  Note, you weren't impolite, I was
talking about my comments you referred to above about <sarcasm>.  I was
saying it's a bad idea, 'cause it makes you look silly nearly every
time.

  Both the RBL and using procmail are clearly covered in the default
> mc files, and clearly documented at www.sendmail.org.  I'm sure it'll be
> in V3 of the Bat Book too.

The new version of sendmail which changed the format of the
configuration files came out a week after I bought the bat book.
Needless to say, I was disgruntled at timing, that's an expensive book I
expected to at least last me a while.

> > > Pine (a MUserA, not a MTransferAgent) has no interface with
> > > procmail,

I have posted 3 time (other than this one) saying I meant MUA, and that
was my error.

I do the same thing I think you did, which is read the mail liearly and
comment that way.  I will take the lesson you show here, I think I can
adjust Pine to sort by subject, and I'll do that.

> > I never said it did, I asked how to get procmail working.  Well, someone
> > else answered me.
>
> Jack quoted you, corrected you, then you have the balls to _DENY_ that you
> said what you did in the first place?  Good GOD man, did you really have
> such a traumatic childhood?

Hmmm, well, forget what I said about you being impolite.  Did you read
any of the later posts where I made it clear I was talking specifically
about procmail for real, so your assumptions that I was wrong, are
wrong.  I made one error in my post, using MTA versus the MUA, but the
rest was right, and I did get help publicly on procmail from another
source.

And you can take your comments home, then.  Relying on your guesses on
who was wrong, then flaming that way, just makes you look silly.

> Look Chuck, the vast majority of the posters on this list either own or
> operate an ISP.  We deal with hundreds, if not thousands, of customer
> accounts on a daily basis.  We have hundreds of tools that we use to get
> the job done.  Each of these tools has a name, and each of them either
> control the behavior of a specific protocol or service, or they help that
> protocol or service get it's job done.
>
> If you are going to ask for help, please be sure you use proper
> terminology, or just omit the tools you *think* you're talking about.

You'll notice I was asking, not declaiming like I knew it (which you
imply).

> >From your postings, it's clear that you did at least *some* reading on the
> topic, but appearantly it didn't sink in.  Often, most of us admins will
> find ourselves reading documentation for things we've been using for
> years.  Sometimes, we'll read it two or four times to make sure we
> understand it correctly.  Is it really too much to expect that others do
> the same before asking mal-formed questions?

Is it too much to ask that you check your assumptions before you start
flaming?

Whatever, this won't become a flamefest, because I won't respond anymore
to this, I have my answer and I'm going home with it ....

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |