Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:00:39 -0500
From:      Tom Limoncelli <tal@lumeta.com>
To:        rand@meridian-enviro.com (Douglas K. Rand)
Cc:        Jim Pazarena <paz@qcislands.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multi-port serial IO support

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 01:38  PM, Douglas K. Rand wrote:

> ** Jim Pazarena <paz@qcislands.net> on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:38:01 -0800
> ** in [multi-port serial IO support] writes:
>
> Jim> Can anyone suggest a reliable multi-port serial system which has
> Jim> native support for FreeBSD (without the linux compat module) ?
>
> We use the Comtrol RocketPort cards. I've had good luck with both the
> 16 and 32 port variations. The only problem I've ever had was trying
> to get two RocketPort cards to work in the same box. (Although I've
> not tested it, I suspect that the driver that comes with FreeBSD 4.7
> might fix this, we are still back at 4.5 on that box.)
>
> We especially like that they are rack mountable and come in high
> densities.

I'm also a fan of the RocketPort card.  I am a little concerned that
the first time you use it, the driver logs to dmesg:

WARNING: driver rp should register devices with make_dev() (dev_t =
"#rp/0x10082")

Has the driver been updated since FreeBSD 4.5?  (Yeah, our RocketPorts
are on older machines... a testament to how reliable FreeBSD 4.x is :-)
...we haven't needed to upgrade them).

My other concern is that the RocketPorts have RJ45 connectors and
finding the right cable is sometimes difficult.  They look like modern
Cisco RJ45 serial ports, but they aren't compatible.  I wish there was
a vendor that I could call and say, "Hi!  I have this weird device...
here's my credit-card #... send me the right cable for my console
server."

--tal