Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:40:11 -0500
From:      Michael Conlen <m@obmail.net>
Subject:   growfs

On FreeBSD 5.3 I added disks to a disk array. The array contained two
250 GB disks stripped (actually four mirrored and striped but it's all
done in hardware). I added two more pairs to the virtual disk, rebooted
the machine, rewrote the disklabel for the additional capacity and ran
growfs. It would grow the filesystem to almost the end and reported
growfs: rdfs: seek error: <some really large number 18 digits long>:
unknown error: 0

I ran growfs with progressively smaller -s options, but the same thing
happens when it gets near the end of the new size of the file system.

fdisk reports the new size for the disk in sectors on partition 1 and
the cylinders, heads and sectors/track appear proper.

the only odd thing I notice is that

nfs2# fdisk -s /dev/da1s1
/dev/da1s1: 121341 cyl 255 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
    4:           0       50000 0xa5 0x80
nfs2# fdisk -s /dev/da1
/dev/da1: 121342 cyl 255 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
    1:          63  1949359167 0xa5 0x80

notice da1s1 lists part 4 as size 50000 (25 MB). da1 lists the
propersize.

disklabel looks right for da1s1

nfs2# disklabel -r /dev/da1s1
# /dev/da1s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
   c: 1949359167        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part,
don't edit
   d: 1949359167        0    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28552

Now, I had gone through this process when upgrading from one pair to
two without a problem. I'm not sure where to start looking for issues
and am looking for a pointer of where to start looking or a better idea
of what info I need to debug this. Does anyone see something completely
out of whack?