Date:      Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:25:32 -0400
From:      "C. Michailidis" <dinom@balstonresearch.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall automatic filesystem size generation.

On Sunday 28 August 2005 11:57 pm, you wrote:

> For anything over a 9gb disk, I just make one big / partition.  If you
> sub partition, you'll always end up filling one (either /var or /tmp
> quickly or /usr eventually) and wish you had picked different sizes.
>=20

This is a very straight-forward way of doing things.  Do you really think t=
hat sysinstall should use a similar method when it attempts to auto-configu=
re a slice?

=46rom what I understand there are quite valid reasons why you would want a=
 seperate /, /var, /tmp, and /usr.  For some reason I recall being informed=
 that more critical filesystems should reside closer to the beginning of th=
e disk.

I'm not too sure why, maybe someone would care to explain why it isn't the =
best practice to have a single monster /?  I have simply come to accept thi=
s as fact and wouldn't mind a refresher myself.

=2DDino

Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashbac=
k.=20