Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:39:49 -0400
From:      "Mark S. Reichman" <reichman@twcny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, the follower of Linux ?

I must say reading this article kinda gets to me.  I
have been using FreeBSD for about 4 yrs now.  In fact
I was using FreeBSD before I even heard about Linux.
I love using this operating system and was weened on it
while getting my CS degree.  I must say after reading and
reading for years that it is time to stop promoting the
"we're following in the footsteps of Linux" spiel.
Regardless of any truths or untruths to the statement.
The article says things like this:

Article: You might call FreeBSD the other Linux.

     Me: Then again, you might not.

Article: Like Linux, FreeBSD is an operating system
         modeled after Unix.

     Me: Uh.. Like Greg Lehey says in "The Complete FreeBSD"
         3rd Edition pg 9 bottom right, Linux is a kernel.
         I say, a complete Linux Distribution is like FreeBSD
         because FreeBSD is UNIX.

Article: Hubbard says FreeBSD is content to be a follower, while
         Linux breaks the trail for free software. "We're letting
         them walk through eight feet of snow first,
         "Hubbard said. Penguins, it seems, are better at that
         sort of thing than demons.

     Me: I am not sure this kind of promotion is in anyway good for
         FreeBSD.  I would rather not hear it at all, let alone
         over and over in every other article I read comparing
         FreeBSD and Linux. The longer FreeBSD promotes
         itself as second, the more burn-in of that statement
         will result. I must admit though, I dont talk to Oracle or make it
         to the West Coast for LinuxWorld, FreeBSDCons or Freenix
         events. I dont see it all like Jordan.  He definetly has the
         big picture. I do think the above article statement is old
         and getting older. I would like to hear more positive things.
         I have seen Jordan make statements of how he thinks
         FreeBSD is the best operating
         system and how he doesnt think FreeBSD is getting the
         recognition it deserves.  More of this kind of attitude and
         talk is what FreeBSD needs, not analogies to snow and Penguins
         no matter how funny penguins look. :)

Foxfair Hu wrote:

> FYI:
>
> http://www.startribune.com/stOnLine/cgi-bin/article?thisSlug=TECB29
>
>  and Jordan said "we were the snobs!"   *sneaking :p
>
>  -Foxfair.

                     \|/
                    (@ @)
  | Mark S. Reichman                       |
  | reichman@twcny.rr.com                  |
  | Radar Tech/Oracle Developer/Programmer |