Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 01:21:03 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Dave Hayes wrote:
> I claim you should not worry about what others do, your focus should
> be on what YOU do, and that will maximize gain for you and (somewhat)
> society. You appear to claim that we have to focus on what OTHERS do
> and controlling them achieves more gain for you and society.

How can individuals cooperate to achieve common goals, if everyone
acts as you would have them act?  By what system?

> > My own objection to this is, first and foremost, that the rights
> > of the state take precedence of the rights of the individual, as
> > the state is composed of individuals, and the yardstick we must
> > therefore use is that of the greatest good for the greatest number.
>
> I claim you can't know that yardstick.

Then allow me to operate on the principle of successive approximation,
and, when or if you come up with a better yardstick, I can siwthc to
using it instead.

> It wasn't intended to succeed or fail, actually. It was intended to
> demonstrate. What I failed to realize was that, for a demonstration to
> be effective, it must fall on fertile eyes and ears.

In order for a system top operate indefinitely, it must achieve
homeostasis.  It's impossible to design a system that can do this,
yet which has no feedback mechanisms.

-- Terry