Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:58:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
Cc:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keeping mutliple machine and telnets straight....

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Andrew wrote:

> depending on what shell you are using you can set this up in your prompt.
> I use tcsh and in my .cshrc i have:
> set prompt = "`whoami`@%m%B%c02%b%#%L>"
> which gives me
> andrew@joker~>>
> the whoami gives my username and the rest of the stuff (which I got off
> someone else, thanks Rob) gives your machine name, current directory ("~"
> for home dir), and some other stuff that I can't remember.
>
> There's a way of doing this under bash and zsh as well. I think under bash
> it goes something like PS1="`whoami`@`hostname`$"; export PS1
>
> Bye the way, this will probably start some kind of shell war thread :-)

Hey why not?

I think FreeBSD offers sh as the default shell--so if the poor user
doesn't know any better, that's what he/she gets.  The Linux default
shell is bash, which is what the original questioner seems to be
familiar with.

Either bash or tcsh would be better than sh, I think; at least it would
be nice to suggest installing something with a few more features than
sh and csh.

	Annelise