Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:14:11 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@express.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WaveLan (Orinco) question (FreeBSD and Windows wireless connection)

[removing -net]

On Monday,  2 April 2001 at 12:19:44 +0400, Vladimir B. Grebenschikov wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anybody help me with configuration of wireless network.
>
> I successful run network with number of WaveLan station with FreeBSD
> driver in adhoc mode:
> wi0: <WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11> at port 0x240-0x27f irq 11 slot 0 on pccard0
> in list I've found program to get firmware version, is shows:
> # ./wi wi0 fd20 > wi-version
> fd20: 001f 0001 0006 0006
> I guess it  6.1, but I am not sure,

I don't know this either.

> So now I've trying to connect windows machine to this network - and
> I have no any success. I have no any access-point hardware in
> network.
>
> So questions are:
>   need I upgrade firmware on my WaveLans ?

Difficult to say.  If they work, I'd say no.

>   what IEEE 802.11 mode I need to configure to use mixed network ?

That depends on what else is in the network.

>   what drivers will be good for Windows for it ?

Sorry, I don't do Microsoft.

> May be there is to different answers like:
>   "You need to use old windows driver ver X.X in adhoc demo mode"
> or
>   "You need to upgrade firmware and use BSS mode"

If you don't have a base station, you need ad-hoc mode.

> Please help me, I've read through FreeBSD mail-lists and found a lot
> of information but no anything like step by step successful
> configuration notice.

The obvious first thing is to look at the output of wicontrol.  Are
you using WEP encryption anywhere?

Greg