Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:53:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Hartmann <root@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   diskless booting problems

Hello.

I have lots of problems getting a PC client started as a
diskless client. The server is an FBSD 2.2.2 system.

I use the neboot software from the distribution (/sys/i386/boot/netboot).
The server is exactly set up like the description made in the handbook
for FBSD 2.2.2, page 229.

Now I detached both a client and an experimental server from the net
and put them together into a private network, reconfigured the server
to match all the IPs etc. and tried booting again - with the same
error:
after a while the slash was rotating on the client when the neboot
software has already started up (the client received the config-file
and prints the contents of /tftpboot/freebsd.IP!) it stops and tells
me "Unable to get SWAP NFS/MOUNT ports". What happened?

Well, when I installed the system, I choosed DES and kerberos to be
installed on the server, but I never used kerberos. When I checked
up what these packages installed, I saw that the nfs-daemon was
replaced by another one. Is that maybe the subject of the faults?

I have no idea what's going wrong. Maybe the RPC services are faulty
ore something other is misconfigured.

If anybody has any idea, tips or hints, please contact me!

Thanks in advance

oliver

O. Hartmann

Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet