Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 16:05:04 -0400
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

Tony Kimball wrote:

> Yes, but... REAL WORLD is just another way of saying 'my application'.
> If you run data-intensive memory-walking codes, typical of scientific
> computations, SDRAM is a substantial win.  If you run mostly from
> cache or random uncached locations, SDRAM is a wash.  For my own
> typical applications, the REAL WORLD performance of SDRAM is
> substantially better than FPM/EDO/BEDO.

Let's not forget that SDRAM may show better performance with the
upcoming faster processors as well, although if I know this industry,
the existing SDRAM will be inadequate in some way or another.

That 64Meg limitation can be a real killer for loaded machines and even
for certain mathematical tasks like simulation or modeling.  Intel
really wants you to buy the Pentium Pro or Pentium II and this is one of
their "incentives".

What is "substantially better"?  A ballpark figure would be fine.

--
There are lies, damn lies, and benchmarks.
David W. Alderman	dave@persprog.com