Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2018 15:51:17 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: DEQNA support in stable ???! Errrr.....

On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 3:45 PM, Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
wrote:

> Just perusing the commits on a sunday evenong and I happened across
> this one: https://freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r313276
>
>         "Use kldload -n when loading if_deqna
>
>         This fixes if_deqna from being loaded by accident twice if it's
> already loaded in the kernel."
>
> Unless my memory fails me DEQNA is the Dec Q-bus network adapter
> for MicroVaxen isn't it ? The mini version of the DEUNA interface for
> the full size Vax/11 machines. Now, I woudn't be surprised to see this
> in netBSD, but kind of surprised to see it in FreeBSD! Anyone care to
> enlighten me ?

FreeBSD has never had support for DEQNA. The if_deqna was added by me when
I wrote devd as a ridiculous, never to clash with anything example. First,
it is 'qe' in other BSDs. Second, FreeBSD will never run on VAXen. It was
mostly a joke. Especially since there were never any DEQNAs made in PC Card
form factor, where the example came from.

Time passes, and someone who is tidying up notices it and fixes it and
unironically, as far as I can tell, made the comment in the commit
message...

Warner