Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 11:00:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quick Q about -stable

I have a friend who is running -stable of about 960415 or so.  He's
seeing odd things happen on his machine that I'm not seeing on mine
with the same vintage stable.  These odd things look like something is
dancing in kernel memory.  Specifically, his routes for his SLIP
interface gets messed up and the uptime reported by ps shows negative
numbers.  He reboots, the problems go away and life is good for 12-48
hours when they come back again.  He also has about 5 people that dial
into 2 modems and run elm, pine and lynx.  Some of them as slow as
2400 baud which seems to tickle another kernel bug:  If they are doing
something like cat /etc/termcap and hangup in the middle, the tty port
"hangs" and you can't get a couple of processes that are holding it to
die.  He's seen this since 1.1.5.1R.

Does this sound like anything that people have seen in -stable (or
even -current)?  Any ideas what the problem might involve?  We're
looking at the whole system right now to make sure that all the parts
in it are in spec and sane.  What was the conclusion of the "anybody
got a good memory tester?" thread.  I don't think I saw one more
specific than "Run FreeBSD.  If it fails, then you have bad memory."

Kernel data isn't swapped, right?