Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:52:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CFD: "bogomips" CPU performance metric

Nick Sayer wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > Linux generates a meric of CPU performance as a byproduct of calibrating
 > a delay loop.

It's not a metric of CPU performance.  It's just a meaningless
number, and its relation to the actual performance of the
machine is very questionable.

 > We don't require doing any such thing, and so adding it would be purely
 > cosmetic.
 > However, I allege that cosmetic things aren't in and of themselves evil,
 > so long as
 > they don't break anything in the process.

It would break user's confidence in the seriousness of the
system.

 > Would anyone scream and projectile-vomit if I added this to identcpu.c?

I would, FWIW.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)