Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 21:49:34 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, NAKAMURA Kazushi <kaz@kobe1995.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fxtv / G450 hack  (was Re: fxtv, G450, & DGA anyone?)

Kenneth D. Merry:
 |It "works" for me if there is anything partially obstructing the picture in
 |the fxtv window.  ... If I don't do anything, it won't update at all.

NAKAMURA Kazushi:
 |  Hello! I can't use DGA yet. It seems matrox driver enabled DGA
 |after XFree86 4.0.2.

For those that also haven't had success with DGA (direct video) with Fxtv
and XFree86, try the attached patches.  Pull the fxtv port, put these in
the port's "files/" directory, and "make install".  Direct video mode works
here now.

It seems that the behavior of memory mapping the video card's linear
aperture to the address returned by XF86DGAGetVideoLL are only invoked by
the XF86DGAGetVideo call (for some <video card>-<XFree86 version> pairs).
Matrox G450 with XFree86 4.0.3 is one of these.  No idea whether this is a
feature or a bug as there are no man pages for the DGA1 calls in 4.x.  (I
need to update Fxtv for DGA 2.0 at some point to verify we don't lose
direct video when XFree86 removes DGA 1.)

The slight con is that fxtv now has to be run setuid root because of DGA
restrictions on calling XF86DGAGetVideo.  This is all taken care of by the
patches.

Hope this helps,

Randall

--