Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:30:24 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall Race ?

#define quoting(Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
//   Sorry for sending a "bug report" without more info, but since I upgraded
// from 2.1-stable to 2.2-stable, I cross my fingers everytime I have to
// reload the ipfw code.  There are big chances that the hole system will
// crash, if not during the reload, sometime after very soon.
//
//   Has anybody else seen this ?
//
//   My ipfw config has around 85 rules, and is still under developement,
// so I have to clean and reload it sometimes.

I've already had some suggestions, but none has an explanation for the
problem.  Let me try to clarify it.

For crashing I mean just freezing or even a panic.  I may get more
detail the next time it happens.

It's not that I'm getting locked outside of my machine or that logs
can't reach syslog.  My firewall reload program does not use
"ipfw flush", instead, it cleans rule by rule, leaving just the last
one, which is "pass all from any to any", so I don't have any lockup
problem.

Looking at the behaviour, I just can think of a race condition in the
ipfw setup code.  A stack trace shows nothing useful, making me believe
the panic occurs in interrupt context.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br