Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:20:35 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to fix cant load /kernel ???? Also soft updates fs corruption.

Hi,
  One thing I've never quite understood is the FBSD boot process. I've
looked at docs read the man page, but never quite got it. I've got
machines to boot that wouldn't with:

$ disklabel -B -b boot1 -s boot2 da0
$ disklabel -B -b boot1 -s boot2 da0a
$ disklabel -B -b boot1 -s boot2 da0s1a

Or some combination thereof.
  Now we have two web cache machines both setup exactly the same. They
have a "dangerously dedicated" boot disk which has a root partition and
swap inside it. One machine paniced (bad memory) and the root fs was
corrupted. In the past I had the soft update flag on in the root fs, but
heard about possible soft updates problems and took the option out of the
kernel (3.2-STABLE.) The root was mounted async. I noticed the fsck
mentioning something about SOFT_UPDATE whilst it was fixing, but
eventually complained of a missing inode and wouldn't go any further. Did
having the fs mounted async, but the soft updates flag still set confuse
fsck? This is the 1st time I've ever had a corrupted fs and I've had many,
many reboots on async fs.
  Anyhow. I booted to a fixit floppy and did a newfs on the fs. Then nfs
mounted the other machine's root fs and cpio'ed everything over. Changed
hostname and IP address and rebooted. Complains it "cant boot /kernel". I
though maybe the newfs had wiped bootblocks due to it being in a
"dangerously dedicated" partition. I booted back into fixit and did my
above trio of disklabel commands. Rebooted, but to no avail. From the boot
prompt I can "load /boot/loader" which seems to load the thing I'm already
in. I can "ls" and see the root fs, kernel, everything. But I can't get
the kernel to boot.
  What has happened here that stops it booting?
Many thanks. At last I may get closer to understanding what goes on here.
Cheers.

disk1s1a> load kernel
dont know how to load module /kernel
disk1s1a>

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)