Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 16:27:14 -0700
From:      bryanh@giraffe-data.com (Bryan Henderson)
To:        hmo@sep.hamburg.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netpbm-8.4

>pbmtext doesn't handle characters below 0x20 or above 0x7f very well -
>they are just replaced by spaces. This is caused by a sign promotion
>issue.

Thanks.

Your patch changes some types to unsigned character to solve the
problem, but that gives me compiler warnings for the type conversions
(because unfortunately, the C library uses the convention of strings
being made up of signed characters).

So instead, I left the variables as char and cast them to unsigned
char everywhere they are used arithmetically.  Of course, I used your
stuff to look up the character in the font too.  This will be in
Netpbm 9.1 within a week.

Incidentally, I see that I had the opportunity to fix most of these a
few releases ago when the compiler warned me about signed characters
being used as array subscripts.  I don't know what I was thinking, but
I resolved it by casting the signed characters to signed integers!
My compiler warning seems to be oriented toward the 8 bitness rather
than the signedness.

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 415-505-3367
Olympia, Washington