Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 20:14:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, sbabkin@dcn.att.com, tlambert@primenet.com, jdn@acp.qiv.com, blkirk@float.eli.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

As Simon Shapiro wrote...

> On 04-Mar-98 Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> >> The only problem I have here, is the assumption that the O/S will do all
> >> that.  Not only it consumes much CPU, I/O bus, memory bandwidth, etc.,
> >> but
> >> O/S crashes are the number one cause of failure in any modern
> >> computer.
> >
> > Sure.
> >
> >> Putting all this logic there is asking for it to crash frequently,
> >> and run under load all the time.
> >
> > I don't think you can assume that.  The load depends on the input.
> > The reliability depends on the quality of the code.
>
> It does not matter at all how good your code is.  It matterswhat the sound
> driver decided to do, the PPP driver, the x25 driver, X11, serial console,
> etc.  There is no compartmentalizing in Unix.  This means that any failure
> in totally unrelated code WILL crash your code.  In a RAID controller, as
> long is power is applied, and the hardware did not fail, the firmware has
> to worry about only one thing;  the firmware.  There are fewer interrupts,
> fewer processes, simpler O/S, no filesystem topaic with freeing free inode.

And best of all: no users.. We all know that systems tend to stay up much
longer when left alone (read: dedicated to say WWW serving or something like
that).

> No, I use FreeBSD for the last 18 months.  Seagate claims, in writing
> 1,000,000 hours mean time between failures on their drives.  Can FreeBSD

Read the fine print on MTBF: it applies to large enough populations. You
as Joe Average user will never have a statistically sound sample to claim
anything. So they can essentially write down what they like.

---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --