Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 19:16:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jmz@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interesting bug in /usr/bin/cmp

> If someone is interested to solve a problem:
>
> $ dd if=/dev/zero bs=8848 count=1 of=a 2>/dev/null
> $ cp a b
> $ cmp a b 0 0x300
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> $ cmp a b 0 0x200
> cmp: EOF on b
> $ cmp a b 0x300 0
> cmp: EOF on a
>
> Jean-Marc

 I've seen a similar problem when doing cmp with CD-ROM
 devices (I believe I entered a PR on it.)

 I think the problem has to do with cmp's use of mmap(), and
 potential issues there...   But, that's just a guess on my part.

 What makes me think so is that cmp would declare the files
 on a CDROM and the files on a disk drive were different,  (well,
 it would dump core as in your example) - while cat'ing the
 file from the CDROM to a temp place on the same disk and
 doing the cmp there would indicate there are no differences....

 The speculation was that there was some problem with the SCSI
 CDROM... but...

	- Dave Rivers -