Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 14:36:55 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        phrotos@email.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change the shell?

On Mon, 10 May 1999 at 23:36:18 -0400, phrotos@email.com wrote:
> Good Night
> First, I would like to congratulate all the freebsd staff because
> their answer of my first question was so quickly. I didn4t see that
> in a few hours I got a answer faster and other tech support of other
> operating system (linux include). Now I have a new question for you
> FreeBSD guys, actually I now that FreeBSD use the tcsh that means
> the C shell.

The default user shell is actually csh and not tcsh.

> Like any Unix user, I like another shell which is the Bash shell of
> the unix standard, I would like to know if you can help me again.
> Please tell me how change from the C shell to the Bash shell or tell
> me please how to change from C shell to another like the Bash shell.

1) cd /usr/ports/shells/bash2 && make install
2) Add /usr/local/bin/bash to /etc/shells.
3) run chfn and change the shell to /usr/local/bin/bash
4) logout and log back in and voila, you should have a bash shell
   (echo $SHELL will tell you)

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -