Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:28:01 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, laskavy@cs.msu.su
Subject:   Re: mouse pointer [laskavy@cs.msu.su: Re: bin/4004]

> -----Forwarded message from "Sergei S. Laskavy" <laskavy@cs.msu.su>-----
> From: "Sergei S. Laskavy" <laskavy@cs.msu.su>
> To: wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de
> Subject: Re: bin/4004
>

> Laskavy> What do you think about the suggestion
> Laskavy> DO NOT use the arrow (just the box)?
>
> Schneider> i dont know the answer myself.
>
> [Maybe my English is too rusty, sorry]
>
> I mean this:
>
> Are you sure, that using an arrow as a mouse pointer looks nice?
>
> Or, if you like an arrow, then can we use ANOTHER characters for it?

The arrow is not a "character", rather it is formed by using four spare
characters and generating those characters by overlapping the arrow
bitmap and the bitmap for the relevant characters on the screen.

If you want a different mouse cursor, see the arrays mouse_and_mask[]
and mouse_or_mask[] in sys/i386/isa/syscons.c.  If you're feeling
adventurous, you could add an ioctl to set these and some code to
vidcontrol(1) to translate, say, an xpm image.

mike