Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:30:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FW: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Charles Mott wrote:

> My understanding is that only commercial web servers support SSL, which I
> am guessing is the name for standard secure link used by MSIE and
> Netscape.  Is it possible that Apache supports SSL??

> Netscape and Microsoft take over the market and set standards.  It may be
> impossible to ever go back.

  No, ssl is an open standard.  There is an freely available ssl library
(ssleay?).  You can get Apache-SSL, which is just Apache plus the
ssl library.

  ssl uses RSA encryption which is protected by a US patent.  This makes
it illegal to use the ssl lib in the US.  You can get stronghold, which is
Apache plus a properly licensed ssl library for use in the US.

Tom