Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:48:34 -0600
From:      Mike Murphree <n4cnw@knology.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Athlon and 4.2 Release

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:48:33AM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
> > > I strongly suspect its an IRQ conflict. Every problem of this sort
> > > that I've seen with the A7V has been an IRQ conflict, including the
> > > problem I had with my own. Specificly I had to hard set the IRQ on my
> > > NIC through the PCI management section of the bios.
> > It certainly is an IRQ conflict between the 3C905B NIC and the promise
> > controller.  I could install and reboot just fine with the NIC
> > removed.
>
> Er, folks, no.  You can share IRQs just fine with PCI.  You don't have
> "IRQ conflicts" just because two devices are driving the same interrupt.
>
> There are plenty of other possibilites for trouble, but having the same
> IRQ is not in and of itself going to do this.

This is the same VIA Southbridge chip as was used in the Socket 7
motherboards. On those motherboards, I have needed to change BIOS
settings and shuffle cards between PCI slots to prevent shared
interrupts on a Symbios 53C875 card and on the first IDE controller
for proper operation in both FreeBSD and Win NT 4. Other PCI cards
and devices seem to do okay sharing interrupts.  I never resolved
whether this was a chipset problem or card problem, but can vouch
for its existence in some circumstances.

Mike