Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 15:38:21 -0400
From:      "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   IEEE 1394 (firewire) support

Just curious, but how good is FreeBSD's firewire support? I recently
purchased a used IBM A30p on ebay which I originally thought would have a
CD-RW/DVD drive (because that is what the base model A30p came with), but it
ended up just having a CD/DVD reader drive.

So eventually, I'd like to either buy a (currently non-existant) Ultrabay
2000 CD-RW/DVD-RW, or an external CD-RW/DVD-RW (in which case firewire would
be ideal, considering I don't have a USB 2.0 port, just USB 1.0).

So, I guess when it comes down to it, my questions are these:

1.) Does FreeBSD support firewire?
2.) Does FreeBSD support disk and optical drives over firewire, or does this
require a special OS specific driver?

Pointing me to additional reading would be fine. I just haven't been able to
find any websites that talk about FreeBSD's firewire support.

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,