Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:21:07 EST
From:      DrdeHaerne@aol.com
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <cjc@freebsd.org>, <schuerge@wjpserver.cs.uni-sb.de>
Subject:   Re: make.conf, proxy and ports

thanks for the tip, it's working now fantasticly, but just for ports that fetch from http:// URLs.

Anything ftp://, fetch returns "Protocol Error"

This is using:

>FETCH_ENV=    FTP_PROXY=ftp://10.100.10.100:1080
>HTTP_PROXY=http://10.100.10.100:3128

I'm correct in assuming this is in one line right? I tried 2 lines as well (that is 2 FETCH_ENV statements) and it produces the same good results (and problem).

At first I thought it was a problem with my SOCKS server or the packet filter rules, but then I realized that my win machines can fetch ftp:// URLs fine using the socks server. i then double checked my access rules for the socks server, and they did in fact include the correct permissions for my new freebsd machine.

Strangely enough, after installing lynx on the system in question, lynx can also retrieve http:// but not ftp:// (maybe this is just because lynx is.. well odd)

I've never used or played with fetch mutch (asides when its automaticaly called by the ports installation). is there a system wide fetch config file on fbsd 4.5?

well, thanks for any help, its appreciated!