Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 20:15:55 -0500
From:      Lee Crites <leec@adonai.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   netscape via pppd cannot seem to get name service

I am just now starting to get people who are dialing in using things
like netscape to browse the internet.  They are dialing in to my system
from modems (what else, right?), attached to my digiboard, connecting
via pppd, with a ttys entry line:
  ttyD00 "/usr/sbin/pppd -detach 11520" unknown on secure

Not sure what they were talking about, I installed netscape 3.0 PE on a
win95 box.  When I click on the icon, the dialer pops up.  After filling
out the login/password, it dial in without a hitch.  I can send and
receive mail (this message being proof of that) with no problems.  But I
cannot browse the internet.

If I enter "http://www.freebsd.org" in the browser, it sits there
thinking for a minute or two, then times out.  I can, however, enter
"telnet://adonai.net" (which is my server I am dialed in to), get a
telnet window and *ping* www.freebsd.org without any problems.

So...

What am I missing?  What magical switch do I have to throw so netscape
can see outside name service?

Thanks muchly...

Lee