Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:41:00 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/24271: dumpon should check its argument more

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 09:52:45AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Agreed.  There may be reasons to accept that you want to use an entire
> slice for your dump device, though I can't think of a convincing one,
> but it certainly shouldn't be the default.

If you were sharing a swap partition with Linux I can imagine
you wanting to do this.

In tune with the Unix way (providing you with enough rope to shoot
yourself in the foot) it probably shouldn't check even if it was
easy to.  After all, it's just as easy to accidently dump onto one
of your filesystems, and there's no way to accidently detect that!

	David.