Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:19:09 -0400
From:      Christopher Weimann <cweimann@k12hq.com>
To:        Brett Rogers <loki_bsd@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: automatic detection of a proxy server

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 01:27:44PM -0700, Brett Rogers wrote:

> I have set up a FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE box at my school to show my professor
> different aspects of FreeBSD.  I really wanted to show him the ports
> collection since he's used to rpms.  My problem is that I cannot get out to
> the internet at all.  It operates correctly in the internal network (I set up
> an FTP server and it works fine as does telnet)  I know there is a proxy
> server somewhere, but I dont know what the address is or anything else about
> it.  All the Windows boxes detect it just fine and he's said none of the
> linux boxes he's used have had problems.  What can I do to make FreeBSD
> detect it?  I am using DHCP to obtain IP, DNS, etc.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

This is frequently done via dhcp.  Specifically dhcp option code 252
will return a url for the proxy configuration file.  This is a javascript
program that will return the correct proxy server and port.
I have setup dhcpd to provide this to microsoft clients but I don't know
how to get FreeBSDs dhclient to request it.  I guess you could use
tcpdump or ethereal and snoop in on the dhcp packets.