Date:      Sun, 01 May 2005 16:41:30 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        stuart@aurora-solutions.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & Serial ATA

O'Reilly, Stuart wrote:

> I'm in the process of building / upgrading a server and have chosen
> FreeBSD to run it. One requirement is the ability to support RAID 1.
> I am looking at adding a Serial ATA PCI card but i'm unsure which is
> best.

This is a low-budget suggestion:

I have good experiences with RocketRAID 1520 and 1640. I'm running a
1640 with three SATA drives since one year without problems; it's just a
little bit slow. Highpoint offers binary FreeBSD drivers for these
controllers, but I think that people don't like this kind of support
because Highpoint neglects it for older models and this dependency might
be dangerous in future. Keep in mind: you'll get what you pay for.

Regards
Björn