Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 21:49:00 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

> Oh, one other thing.. libdisk is built by doing a file2c of /usr/mdec/
> boot1/boot2 and compiling it in.  It is using the *old* boot code, because
> libdisk is built before src/sys/boot in a 'make world'.

I suppose we could move src/sys/boot earlier in the worldbuild.
Any objections?

> BTW; I really do not like moving the bootblock source files (boot0/1/2) to
> /boot;  I think of /boot as an equivalent to the bootblocks..  /usr/mdec

There are several good reasons for shooting /usr/mdec through the
head, once more through the heart for good measure and then jumping up
and down on its twitching corpse for awhile.  I shall list them:

1. It is under /usr.  disklabel is in /sbin.  Enough said.

2. /usr/mdec, evil though it was, gave us a single place to look for
   boot related material.  It wasn't a lot of material (<2MB) but it
   was diverse enough to include UFS, DOS and network booting code
   and it would be a shame to have to remember to look in two places for
   that stuff.  I think there should be only one boot frob
   directory and that it should be /boot

3. /usr/mdec is a silly-assed name.  Who thought of it?  What does it even
   stand for?  hier(7) just says "boot programs; see disklabel(8)" and
   doesn't particularly enlighten.  And if it's just for disklabel,
   as hier(7) strongly implies, then why isn't it on the root filesystem
   along with disklabel?  Like I said, it's <2MB in size so it can't be
   for space reasons.

In short, I think /usr/mdec was a temporary cerebral aneurism on
someone's part and is a cryptically named, improperly located
anachronism that needs death.  I want my boot blocks and anything else
I might want to copy on/off a floppy for booting purposes on the root
filesystem where they belong, along with my kernels! :-)

- Jordan