Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:30:34 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Build sequence (was Re: mergemaster theory (was: Re:/etc/defaults/rc.conf theory) )

Aragon Gouveia wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>buildkernel KERNCONF=<KERNEL>
>>installkernel KERNCONF=<KERNEL>
>>

> I see most people using this method for doing their kernel
> compiles/installs, but I'm still stuck on the old method of:
>
> config <kern>
> cd ../../compile/<kern>
> make depend
> make
> make install
>
> Am I missing anything from not using the newer method?

I may get whacked for bad information; however, in the past, the
config method used the current system to build the kernel. The
buildkernel was needed when you cvsup upgraded your system and it used
the next version that was not installed at this point. You were
supposed to buildworld and then buildkernel. Your kernel and userland
were still the current version. Where this became a problem was when
O'Brien updated the /binutls. You were basically bootstrapping your
way to a new kernel that needed the new compiler.

Since you can replace all of that string of executions with a simple
"make kernel", you just have added more work to a simple operation.
For the "make kernel" to work you have to have added your "<KERNEL>"
into your /etc/make.conf.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart