Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 09:37:35 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>, "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>, "N6REJ" <n6rej@tcsn.net>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

> And that is exactly the problem faced by many newbies: not knowing
> where to look, nor realising they're there when they've found it.
They
> can't tell because there are concepts that they don't have, and when
> they look at the documentation they might find vaguely familiar
words
> which are not used in every day speech and which have a particular
> meaning to people with a formal computer education.

:) ..... its called "martian"  .... or maybe I'm confused & its really
"venusian" !!!
As I said in another posting, when I need to do something I generally
wish
to do it in the immediate future, not after I've had time to go spend
a small
fortune on O'Reilly books (for the benefit of the yankees they cost a
days
wage for many people in OZ with the current exchang rate of the
pacific
peso), then learn to comprehend martian / venusian at an academic
level,
and finally read half a library so one understands the historical
background /
philosophy / etc ........ when all that was needed in the first place
was
"run blah -x | grep foo"  Its stuff like this that could readily be
explained
to the level needed for said newbie to achieve whatever they wish to
achieve
without all the drama. OK so the developers are busy people (& thats
not
in dispute), so how do we go about getting "official" sanction of the
"user
friendly" sites that do attempt to fill a need that the official docs
can't / won't ??

> The man pages do this a lot. For example, in ls(1) we have a few
words
> that probably won't be understood without unix knowledge, and I have
> no problem with that. Words like "FIFO", "symbolic link", etc
> need to be looked up in a unix text somewhere and learned. Until
> then, you are not so likely to need the relatively more advanced
stuff
> that they are found in. Part of the deal is learning about these
things.

There is a limit to how much martian / venusian most of us can absorb
in
a hurry. For many people its very limited, so since the official folk
didn't
learn to speak the same language the majority of regular folk do it
appears
that meaningful docs can only be written by a team comprising someone
with a reasonable grasp of english (or whatever language), an expert
or
two in a consultancy role, plus an interpreter who may not be an
expert
developer but speaks both the developer language & english (or
whatever)

> With these, once you've seen them in a unix context they're obvious,
> but they don't have instant meaning that leaps out for a beginner.

So why the commandment "Thou shalt never use visual representations"
(aka screenshots) ?? Hey maybe the docs folk are all visually impaired
&
use one of those screenreader apps like "Jaws".  Might explain why all
"official" docs muddle through with largely unintelligible text rather
than
the 'picture tells a thousand words" approach

> Some man pages restate these in more common words or show very
> easy examples where their meanings are apparent. Our man pages
> for the common user and setup commands could be improved by a
> going-over with this perspective in mind, perhaps referring to
> others such as the Tru64 man pages for ideas. In other documents,
> such as the Handbook, we could use something like a newbie review
> team to make sure that unnecessary difficulties don't creep
> in or they are linked to explanations or a glossary.

Exactly .... maybe then we'd have official docs with words on the
pages
rather than simply chapter headings & virtually blank pages !!!

> > even when it's
> > demonstrated to them that you can easily do with FreeBSD just
about
> > anything you can do with Linux.

I couldn't imagine in my worst nightmare using linux for anything ....
FreeBSD
does most of what I want quite efficiently. The problem is simply how
figure new stuff out without making it into a command performance.
Where
I started with this thread was trying to discover if its reasonably
feasable to
write a step_by_step HOWTO about X-windows. After about a thousand
postings I'm still none the wiser .... the only halfway relevant
feedback advised
that all open source GUIs are broken abortions / a waste of time /
against the
religion. (all of which I'd decided years ago). So what about all
those people
posting questions like "how do I configure my you beaut 256Mb ,
watercooled,
turbocharged blah videocard for X-windows" ...... seems even many of
us who
have been using FreeBSD for years still haven't much idea how to
configure an
S3 Virge to work properly.

>   Exactly what are we expecting newcomers to know, and
>   why can't we state those expectations clearly?

Thats a very good question & I'll be very interested to see the