Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:27:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        "Maine LOA List Admin (Brent Bailey)" <brentb@loa.com>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW or IPFILTER?

> Everything ive read on FBSD site...as well from experiance is that IPFW is
> more versitile...you can do more with it
> including traffic shaping .. "pipe & queue" & dummynet...as well as plain
> out better firewall than IPFILTER. again this is mostly
> opinion  as far as speed IPFW is a hair slower than IPFILTER.  ..but im sure
> you wouldnt even notice the differrence..
> I run 2 FBSD gateways machines  running IPFW w/ NATD  ...each gateway is
> supporting 100+  users and workstations
> each....and never had any issues with setting up for speed or
> stability...both FBSD machine have uptimes in excess of 200 days.
> plus the fact theres tons of "howto's " for IPFW and NAT.

Truthfully, A lot more people are starting to prefer ipfilter for nat
solutions though, I have found that ipfilter is really easy to configure
and get working in an acceptable manner. I've heard that if you want to
traffic shaping but still want to use ipfilter this is possible by just
setting the ipfw to be open by default, and use ipfilter to do the actual
filtering; while using dummynet for traffic shaping. I'm not sure how this
effects performance though. For NAT I would think that ipfilter is faster
because for natd, every packet must be copied out of the kernel, to natd,
then back into the kernel. I have actually run into problems with this
with as few as 5 people (using Quake III on their computers connecting to
a single Quake III server, natd handled 3 people, but when the 4th person
connected, the ping skyrocketed, and we started having packetloss) but
with ipfilter, the problems disappeared. This of course was on a 200MHz
pentium pro, but it worked fine with ipfilter.

Ken