Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:33:28 -0500
From:      Chris Ptacek <cptacek@sitaranetworks.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SSH forwarding questions.

What I am trying to do is setup forwarding of a port (5907) from the remote
machine (server) to my local machine (client) using a different port (5901).
The setup looks a little like this:

 Client  NAT/Firewall
  +---+    +---+
  | 1 |----| 2 |---> Internet
  +---+    +---+

            +---+    +---+
Internet -->| 3 |----| 4 |
            +---+    +---+
        Server/NAT   Remote machine behind NAT

I would like to connect (with SSH) from machine 1 to machine 3 and setup
remote forwarding of the port.  When machine 4 tries to connect to the given
port on machine 3 it is forwarded to machine 1.  The command I am trying is
as follows:

ssh -C -l<username> -R 5907:localhost:5901 <IP of machine 3>

Machine 1 is running FreeBSD 3.1
Machine 3 is running FreeBSD 4.4

I can make the ssh connection between Machine 1 and Machine 3, but it
doesn't seem to be forwarding the ports.

Some other tests I did:
On a FreeBSD 3.1 machine on the same subnet as Machine 1 I tried the above
command.  I was able to successfully forward the port and connect.

On a FreeBSD 4.3 machine on the same subnet as Machine 1 I tried the above
command. I was not able to successfully forward the port and connect.

I am guessing that this may not be a NAT issue since I also seem to be
having troubles with the 4.3 box on the local subnet.  The difference is
that a netstat -na shows the listening on 5907 on the 4.3 box (can't connect
though) while a netstat -na doesn't show anything listening on 5907 on
machine 3.

Any information on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Is this a configuration problem, a NAT issue, or both?

  Thanks,
    Chris