Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:27:11 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Peter Fogg <pf20360@email.csun.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problem

On Fri, 24 April 1998 at  7:56:24 -0700, Peter Fogg wrote:
> On page 72 of The Complete FreeBSD book, second edition, several
> end-of-installation procedures are recommended. The procedure to move
> "/var" is the one giving me the problem. When I enter the commands
> listed, the following takes place:
>
>      # mkdir /usr/var   ( this works )
>      # cd /var              ( this works )
>      # tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )     ( this works )
>      # cd /                   ( this works )
>      # rm -rf /var     ( I receive a message "/var Device is busy" )
>      # ln -s /usr/var /var     ( does not work )

Yes, this is a consequence of the previous problem.

> Some subsequent operations, including the boot process, display messages
> that state the some file in /var cannot be found.

This procedure is intended only for people who have not created a /var
file system (as I suggest earlier in the chapter).  It looks to me as
if you have done this although you have created a /var file system.
The problem now is that you have deleted all the files, and that you
can't delete the mount point (/var) because there is a file system
mounted on it.  You have two options:

1.  Put the files back where they came from:

    # cd /usr/var/
    # tar cf - . | (cd /var; tar xvf -)

    then at least restart syslogd, as described in the text.

2.  Forget /var and leave them where they are:

    # umount /var
    # rmdir /var
    # ln -s /usr/var /var

    Remove the /var entry from /etc/fstab (with an editor).

The second option leaves you with a file system floating around with
which you can't do too much.  On the whole, I'd stick with the first
option.  If you do, and *after* you're sure it all works, you can tidy
up with:

    # rm -rf /usr/var

Greg