Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 07:06:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        Jamie Clark <jamie@erinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Q: Opinions on which Tape Drive to Buy?

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 06-Feb-98, Jamie Clark wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm in the market for a tape backup system for both FreeBSD and Windoze
>95.  I'm looking for at least 4 GB uncompressed capacity at a street
>price for the unit (not necessarily including interface card) around
>$375.  What models have you had good experiences in installing,
>operating, and with its technical support among those in the market.
>I've never bought a tape drive for a PC.  Though, I'm experienced with
>the major PC peripherals regarding installation and configuring.
>
>The system is an Intel Pentium 200 MHz with 32 MB.  Windoze space is a
>little over 5 GB and FreeBSD space is about 1.8 GB.  I do have plans of
>increasing disk space with another disk to allow keeping uptodate with
>FreeBSD-Stable.

The only drives *WELL* supported by FreeBSD are SCSI tape drives.
(FreeBSD, I believe, now supports IDE/ATAPI tape drives, but I do not
know how good/stable/etc. that support is).  This is a problem, because
most tape drives for PC's are "floppy tape" variety (they connect up to
the floppy disk controller, or to a special controller board that is
essentially similar to the floppy disk controller but uses different
resources).

AVOID THESE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

Not only is the performance bad (very error prone, IMHO) but the support
under FreeBSD is virtually nonexistent.  (There is support, but it is not
full support - you need to use a special program to access the tape
device, you can't just use a /dev file like you can with normal tapes) and
this support has been molding away for a long time (ie it hasn't been
updated).

Yeah, SCSI tapes are definitely the way to go.  Unfortunately, they are a
bit hard to find.  Most computer places don't have them, so you will have
to mail-order or go hunting.  And they cost somewhat more than their
floppy-tape counterparts.  But believe me, all this extra money and effort
is worth it.  SCSI tapes are extremely stable, fast, and versatile under
FreeBSD.

Avoid the HP/Colorado and Seagate SCSI tape, however, I have heard bad
things about these (coming from, I believe, the FreeBSD lists).  Other
than that, most any tape drive will do.  Many like Exabyte drives; the
Archive family is popular as well.

- ---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.