Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:13:09 -0800
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@pacbell.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help with user ppp and launching a script

Is there any way to launch a script from the user ppp after it connects?
Here's my problem:

I dial in to PacBell on an ISDN line.  It an auto dial from one of the
computers in my house so it can go up and down depending on when my wife,
daughter or my self are using it.  The dialing and the channeling of my
vpn to the one IP address on the FreeBSD box (v2.2.6) all work great.

The problem is that when something like sendmail tries to send out a
message, some of the sites it tries to send to refuse connection because
it says "Hi I'm blaa.org" (my internal domain) and the receiving server
says "Can't resolve you, *click*).

What I need to do is have a script run from PPP automatically that when
the connection is make I can do a reverse look up on the IP address
assigned by PacBell (changes almost every time) and then set my computer
name based on that information (the then bounce sendmail so it will
recognize the change.)

Any idea on how I can accomplish this?  Thanks! Please reply directly as
I am not on the list.

-Sean

---
Sean J. Schluntz                           schluntz@agames.com
Sr. Office Systems Administrator                  408-434-5804
Atari Games Corporation                  http://www.agames.com

Mountain Dew and doughnuts...because breakfast is the most
important meal of the day. - ???