Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Philippe Le Berre <philippe@le-berre.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to installworld remotely?

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Philippe Le Berre wrote:

> After being through the high numbers of emails on the new *build*
> procedure, I still haven't see any hint on how to handle the make
> installworld remotely. Can I do it without the shutdown? Can I remotely log
> on *shutdown* system ? Do I have to fly to the box?

If you reboot a freshly installed world and kernel remotely you are
very much flirting with disaster.

If your current install is working just fine, I say the risk outways the
benefit. If your current install is crashing for what ever reason, then it
might be worth it to risk the reboot.

What is your tolerance for pain? :) I would not risk a short notice
airfare where waiting for a more opportune time is possible. Do you know
an admin who lives near the box?

This is just my $.02.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells