Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:20:30 +0200
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another zfs sharenfs issue

Hi,

  Sorry for coming back to an old thread, but I just wanted to
underline the idea below.

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 09:48:43PM -0400, James L. Lauser wrote:

[...]

>> Any insight would be appreciated, though seeing as how I only
>> normally reboot the server about 4 times per year, this isn't
>> exactly a very high priority issue.
>
> On our FreeBSD (RELENG_8-based) NFS filer for our local network, we
> never bothered with the "sharenfs" attribute of the filesystems because,
> simply put, it didn't seem to work reliably. =A0We use /etc/exports
> natively and everything Just Works(tm). =A0We've had literally zero
> problems over the years with this method, and have rebooted the filer
> numerous times without any repercussions on the client side.
>
> Given that this is the 2nd "sharenfs is wonky" thread in the past few
> hours, I'm left wondering why people bother with it and don't just use
> /etc/exports.

 Think about operational maintenance -- e.g. modifying or destroying a
NFS-shared ZFS dataset would immediately adjust sharing for it and if
you have a lot of datasets or do a lot of operations like these it
saves time not to mangle with /etc/exports every time. It's more
elegant this way.

 Same things should apply for the sharesmb property. And I'm pretty
sure the (Open)Solaris folks thought of other usage scenarios.

Regards,
Adrian Penisoara <ady (at) freebsd.ady.ro>
EnterpriseBSD.com