Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:41:33 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MK_ vs. WITH_/WITHOUT_ in release/Makefile

--WYfJCIN5rqlfy3K0

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 09:38:08AM -0500, Rick Miller wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> release/Makefile in CURRENT utilizes MK_* knobs vs. the WITH_/WITHOUT_*
> knobs seen in release/Makefile in the STABLE/RELEASE branches.  Merging a
> CURRENT version of the Makefile into a RELEASE branch and executing a
> release build results in an error citing "MK_KERNEL_SYMBOLS can't be set =
by
> a user".  Comparisons of the Makefile between CURRENT and STABLE/RELEASE
> exposed the difference and changing the knobs from MK_ to WITHOUT_ resolv=
ed
> the error.
>=20
> I have little familiarity with these knobs, but was under the impression
> the Makefile would not differ like this.  Is there documentation describi=
ng
> the use of these knobs between the varying branches and how they are
> changed from CURRENT to STABLE/RELEASE?
>=20

These changes are result of src.opts.mk changes (only available in
head/) that allows specifying MK_FOO=3Dno instead of WITHOUT_FOO=3Dyes on
the command line.

The changes were applied to the release/Makefile because it allows more
granular tuning for different stages of the release build.  For example,
one might want to build userland/kernel with WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3Dyes, but
does not want that to apply to the resulting ISOs, so a "global"
WITH_DEBUG_FILES=3Dyes and target-specific MK_DEBUG_FILES=3Dno do not
collide.

Glen

--WYfJCIN5rqlfy3K0

--WYfJCIN5rqlfy3K0--