Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:29:04 +0100
From:      Marcus Haebler <mh@muenster.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'Norman C Rice'" <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Subject:   RE: Adaptec 2940UW and 7 disks results in bus resets (solved)

> On Tue, Dec 16, 1997 at 11:15:13AM +0100, Marcus Haebler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we just added a disk to our FreeBSD-2.2-stable (about 6 months old)
> > and are running into major problems with those 7 disks. The disks
> > are connected to an Adaptec 2940UW. Are there any known problems
> > with FreeBSD and the Adaptec 2940UW? A bus reset occurs every
> > two minutes. I just grabed part of the error messages out of tonights
> > daily report. It looks like that:
>
> I have experienced similar problems; it turned out that the overall
> length of my SCSI cables was too long. The length of the internal flat
> ribbon cables cables becomes very significant when several drives
> are cascaded. I had to get some custom cables built (very short lengths)
> and all has been well ever since.

It was exactly that! The cable was to long after adding another drive.
The few inches inside the slot added the problem. I connected the rack
with a very short cable (<10 inches) to the adapter and now it works
fine!

Thanks to all those who gave me some helpful hints!

Marcus Haebler

---
ICS Internet Communication Systems GmbH
Soester Strasse 13        Tel.: +49 251 6060-0   mailto:support@muenster.net