Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:36:01 +1100
From:      Michael Ross <satare@optusnet.com.au>
To:        "haney01 @ email . franklin . edu" <haney01@email.franklin.edu>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions @ FreeBSD . ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Typical times installing from ports via 56k modem?

Hiya,

speaking from experience on this one ( I have moved all the way from
freeBSD 4.4-4.7 all with my trusty dial up modem) It is realistic to tackle all
of this from your own modem, it just takes time.

> It took about 1.5 hrs for the CVSUP from 4.6.0 to 4.7, and another 2
> hours for the build (on a P3-500 with 128MB RAM).

That seems a little bit long, was that the only CVSUP you did between the
two? you might be able to speed things up by trying to find a cvsup server
that is closer to you.

> My question is... Is it realistic to upgrade via ports with a 56K
> modem? I tried installing a few small things via ports, and it worked well, but I'm
> wondering how long it will take to download and build things like the XFree86,
> or GNOME. Do these things take days, or might I be able to accomplish it
> overnight?

some tips to use that I have found helpfull,

* find a download server that you get good ping times off (search the mirror
archives and then ping the closest ones to you)
* Run all of your downloads overnight, I find I tend to get better download rates
from local servers when the network is less congested.
* When downloading ports to install, do "make fetch-recursive" this will fetch the
tarballs for the port and for all of the dependecies.. simply a make or a make install
will download a package, then build it before going onto the next one.

Once the make fetch-recursive is finished you should be able to go through and do a
simple make install and the port should build without needing to download anything
else.
* when upgrading ports, get a copy of portupgrade, and use portupgrade -raF - this
should go through and download the tarballs for the ports you want to upgrade.
Then later when your off the net do a portupgrade -ra to build them.

Michael Ross
satare@optusnet.com.au